The key to chicken is to not overcook it. Once it is too dry, the flavor is totally gone.
Chili and Lemon Chicken Burgers
- 1 tsp. dried chili flakes
- 1 c. lemon juice (fresh)
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 c. olive oil
- sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 4 burger buns, halved
- 4 chicken breast fillets, trimmed and butterflied (I didn't butter fly mine, you could pound them a bit thinner if your fillets are too thick)
- 4 iceburg lettuce leaves
- mayonnaise, to serve
1. Place the chili flakes, lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper in a bowl and stir to combine. Place the chicken in a separate bowl and pour over half the marinade. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
2. Heat a char-grill pan or barbecue over high heat. (I used a saute pan) Brush the burger bun halves with some of the reserved marinade and char-grill or barbecue for 1-2 minutes or until toasted. Set aside. (I used regular butter as I had forgotten to set aside half of the marinade) Char-grill or barbecue the chicken for 4 minutes each side, or until cooked through. Top the buns with the lettuce, mayonnaise and chicken and spoon over remaining marinade to serve.
Recipe from Donna Hay magazine, Issue 37.