The difference between the two recipes lies in where the sweet component is. In this recipe, the brown sugar is mixed into the meat, with a basic ketchup glaze on top. My other favorite meatloaf recipe has a pineapple preserve glaze on top, so the sweet factor is primarily on top. I love them both, but if I had to choose just one favorite, it would be the Amish Meatloaf.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 1/2 cups crushed butter-flavored crackers
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 Tbsp. corn syrup (optional), it makes the glaze a little sticky, but you can leave it out if you want
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. In a medium bowl, mix together ground beef, crushed crackers, onion, eggs, 3/4 cup ketchup, and 1/4 cup brown sugar until blended. Using a buttered baking dish, mound meat mixture into a loaf shape.
3. Bake for 1 hour in the pre-heated oven, or until cooked through. Add the ketchup glaze half way through cooking.