I have two favorite meatloaf recipes, both of which incorporate a sweet component that is just fantastic. I can't rave enough about this recipe for Amish Meatloaf. It is addicting. Did you know meatloaf could be addicting? It is!
The difference between the two recipes lies in where the sweet component is. In this recipe, the brown sugar is mixed into the meat, with a basic ketchup glaze on top. My other favorite meatloaf recipe has a pineapple preserve glaze on top, so the sweet factor is primarily on top. I love them both, but if I had to choose just one favorite, it would be the Amish Meatloaf.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 1/2 cups crushed butter-flavored crackers
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 Tbsp. corn syrup (optional), it makes the glaze a little sticky, but you can leave it out if you want
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. In a medium bowl, mix together ground beef, crushed crackers, onion, eggs, 3/4 cup ketchup, and 1/4 cup brown sugar until blended. Using a buttered baking dish, mound meat mixture into a loaf shape.
3. Bake for 1 hour in the pre-heated oven, or until cooked through. Add the ketchup glaze half way through cooking.