Shrimp & Pork Fried Rice, Sweet and Sour Pork, Crab Rangoon
Posted by Ali
Shrimp & Pork Fried Rice
Makes Many Servings (4-6 Generous Servings)
4 cups cold, cooked rice (Make the day before)
1 cup diced carrots
1 to 1 1/2 cups peas (I used frozen)
Dash or two of dried minced onions
2-3 Medium garlic cloves, minced
Chinese BBQ Pork (However much you want. I used upwards of a pound)
1 small can shrimp (You can use fresh and chop it up if you prefer, which I do)
Vegetable Oil for frying
Dash or two of sesame oil
Salt/Pepper to taste
1. Using a very large saute pan or wok, add enough vegetable oil to coat the bottom. Turn heat to medium/high. Add a dash or two of sesame oil -- being careful not to add too much as this is very potent stuff. Add your carrots, garlic, onion and peas. Let them cook for a few minutes and be careful not to let the garlic burn. Add the chopped Chinese pork and shrimp; heat through.
2. Add the cold rice and stir to combine with the oil. Add a blend of soy sauce and a little terriyaki marinade, tasting as you go. You want the rice to take on a light brown color as it absorbs the soy sauce. Stir frequently, checking for seasoning and adding any salt and pepper if necessary.
3. Once the rice is tasting how you like it, shove some of the rice mixture aside to create room to cook the eggs. Once the eggs start to set, mix them with the rice and stir occasionally until the egg mixture is incorporated and cooked through.
Sweet and Sour Pork
Makes 4-6 Servings
1 box Tempura Batter
1 to 1 1/2 lbs Chinese BBQ Pork (It comes already cooked)
Vegetable oil for frying
Sweet and sour sauce
1. Heat a saute pan or fry machine filled with oil to medium/high. Chop the pork into bite sized chunks. Prepare the tempura batter according to instructions. Coat the pork in the tempura batter and place in saute pan/fry machine. Cook until lightly golden. Drain on paper towels. Serve with sweet and sour sauce.
Crab Rangoon is another 'winging it' sort of recipe that I tried. It was good, but not exactly what I was trying to replicate. No matter though. I still ate it anyways.
Makes 6 Servings
1 package wontons
1 package cream cheese, softened
1 package imitation crab, finely chopped
Dash of Lemon Juice
A few tablespoons of finely minced scallions
Vegetable oil for frying
Hot Chinese Mustard
Sweet and Sour Sauce for dipping
1. Heat a saute pan with vegetable oil to medium/high.Mix first four ingredients together. Add a scant teaspoon to each wonton. Wet all sides of wonton, then bring two sides together to close. Place in hot oil, frying for a few seconds on each side, until lightly brown. Serve warm with hot Chinese mustard and sweet and sour sauce for dipping.